Herewith my notes for the Sīrah discussion I intend giving this year after Tarāwīḥ, Allāh willing. If we had all the time in the world we could not do justice to the greatest personality that ever walked the face of the earth. Yet in view of the lack of knowledge on the basics of his life by the general public I am using this platform for this purpose, on the premise that one can only truly love someone if one knows that person. As long as we are ignorant about the life and character of Allāh’s Messenger صَلَّى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ our love for him cannot be as complete as it could be.
- When Muslims later met to discuss when to start dating their calendar, Hijrah was chosen over Mawlūd, revelation of Qurʾān, etc.
- Allāh’s Messenger صَلَّى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ allowed his followers to go first. He would leave at the end. Thus was his character. Leadership is responsibility, not seeking privileges.
- The Quraysh tried to stop the Muslims. Thus families were split, e.g Umm Salmah, her husband and child.
- They had to leave their wealth behind, some had to give up everything, e.g. Ṣuhayb “Rūmī”
- All had to go secretly except ʿUmar, who openly announced his Hijrah. He arms himself, makes Tawāf and calls, “Whoever wishes to make his wife a widow and children orphans, then come and meet me…”
- Abū Bakr was not granted permission because he was destined to accompany Muḥammad صَلَّى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ When told he wept for joy. He had only 5,000 dirham left out of 40,000 before Islām. He spent everything on Islām.
- ʿAlī was left behind to give back the trusts. Despite their opposition, the Quraysh trusted al-Amīn صَلَّى الله عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ so much, they used to leave their valuables with him.
و صلى الله على راكب البراق كامل الأخلاق